Saturday, September 4, 2010

Some thoughts on the Great Commission

I have been doing a little thinking about the Great Commission lately. In the great commission Jesus tells us because he has been given all authority , he is now going to give us some. He wants us to go and make apprentices (of Jesus) of all people groups by immersing them in the trinitarian reality of God and to teach them to do everything he said to do. The difference between making apprentices and "getting people saved" is stark and I have been doing a lot of thinking about that too, but the part that struck me today was the "baptize them in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit."
 I am pretty sure that when Jesus said this he wasn't envisioning us dunking people in water while saying in the name of...(which now seems odd to me as I currently attend a baptist church) so what did He have in mind? I like the phrase, immersing them in the trinitarian reality of God, alot ,but I was still a little sketchy about what that meant., until today. I was listening to a talk by Trent Sheppard about the trinity and he asked the question, "what was God doing before creation?" He goes on to explain that God is and was constantly living in a state of community with the rest of the trinity. God exists in community and he wants us to also live in this community.
And when I heard that I immediately thought of the phrase in the commission, immerse them in the trinity...immerse them in community. Immerse them in the community that is God and that is his students. More thoughts on living in community to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment